Neha and Sanjeev loves Arabian and Middle East food, especially the pita breads, mayonnaise, grilled Chicken, kozi rice and others. Today I planned to make whole wheat pita bread ( I had some left over dough after making the pizza cups over the weekend ) along with chicken Shawarma and a clear soup which is a big hit at our place.
is a Levantine meat preparation, where lamb, chicken or mixed meats are placed on a spit (commonly a vertical spit in restaurants), and may be grilled for as long as a day. Shavings are cut off the block of meat for serving, and the remainder of the block of meat is kept heated on the rotating spit. Shawarma can be served on a plate (generally with accompaniments), or as a sandwich or a wrap. Shawarma is usually eaten with cucumber, tomato and other vegetables.
I have used boneless chicken ( the bones were used to make the soup ) and grilled it in my grill pan with just a light smear of oil, thus making this a very light and healthy food. Neha and Sanjeev had it in the evening itself and both were quite happy with the taste and combinations.
- Boneless chicken 200 gm
- Salt to taste
- Pepper powder 1-2 tsp
- Red chilli powder 1 tsp
- Onion 1 big
- Garlic 3-4 cloves
- Eggless mayo 2-3 tbsp
- Grated cabbage 2 tbsp
- Grated carrot 2 tbsp
- Refined oil 1-2 tsp
- Finely chop the boneless chicken, garlic and onion.
- Heat oil in a nonstick grill pan and saute the onion and garlic pieces till translucent.
- Add the chicken pieces, salt, pepper powder and red chilli powder.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes till the chicken gets cooked well.
- Shred the chicken by mashing it or use a scrapper.
- Remove from fire and keep aside.
- Mix the grated carrot and cabbage in the mayonnaise till its mixed well.
- Add this to the chicken and mix well.
- Yummy home style Shawarma is ready.
- Serve it with freshly cut carrots, cucumber, onion rings, pickled beetroot, mayonnaise and pita bread.
- Alternatively you can sprinkle this on a pita bread and make Shawarma rolls.